BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Like a bag of spanners

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Jan 2011

The XM starting that is.....It always had a cold starting issue and since I've been running I've done the following:
New and checked glow plugs.
Cleaned all wiring and contacts
Renewed rubber pipework from bulkhead to primer.
Shortened i.e. removed the 'tired' ends of the pipe from primer to filter housing.
All jubilee clipped up nice and tight
New leak off pipe and nipple
Checked/tightened all injector hard piping unions
Replaced filter housing for one off Xantia which no starting issues - used silicone to reseal bottom o-ring
Checked primer bulb non return valve - seemed ok but put new non return valve in and made no difference
Pump came off Xantia which had no issues, although the pump was sat around for about a year but still full of fuel. Pump has no leaks.
Squeezing the primer bulb with engine running forces air bubbles out of fuel filter housing and into pump - this causes no coughing.

Symptoms: Prolonged cranking on cold start, fires, stalls, more cranking, fires runs lumpy stalls. Another crank and she'll fire - keep running but all lumpy till she clears. Hot start is instant and trouble free.

When fitting pump I transferred the pump with housing/mount bracket so timing shouldn't be an issue.
Emissions at MOT were low - so I assume no timing and/or injector issues.

No fuel leaks or weeps when I squeeze primer with engine not running.

Stumped :cry: help please
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Like a bag of spanners

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Jan 2011

What colour smoke mate?
Grey? White?

I'd be erring towards an air leak at this stage, unless the glow plugs aren't actually warming correctley?

Aside from that, the pump, is it the EPIC? Or Bosch?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 31 Jan 2011

Erm, I'll have to look at the smoke coming out the exhaust to be sure of colour. It's an Epic mate.
In the two hours between me posting the first post on this thread and starting the car up again, there was a second or two of cranking before she fired - so the fuel is draining somewhere - no coughing though. At least I assume it's draining somewhere to explain the prolonged cranking.

In the 20 ish minutes the car is off whilst I get the kids from the school, firing it back up is first class.
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 03 Feb 2011

ahh, right, bummer, EPIC phail then!
:mrgreen:

erm, still sounds like an air leak on the pick up side somewhere..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 03 Feb 2011

I'm wondering if it's 'fo shizzle bo selecta tank side aye' as in maybe the pickup from the tank. Annoyingly, the problem is less in this milder weather :x :x

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Feb 2011

Heater plug relay timer??????? just a thought away from fuel, [chin] seeing as it got better with the weather.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 04 Feb 2011

Sounds IDENTICAL to my BX when i got it mate, i'd point my finger straight at an air leak at the fuel heater (if it has one on that). I just bypassed it completely with new hose from the metal pipe right up to the primer.

If it's not i'll eat Tizzy's skittle!

Alternatively, i'll sit quietly in the corner :)
Almost BX-less

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 04 Feb 2011

It does have a fuel heater but not a Tizzy stylee one. It's a labrynth type one on the head. I assumed if they were leaking then diesel seeped out???

The only other thing that has sprung to mind was that heater valve jobby that Matt Furry Purry had a problem with, but again, there's not leak and I've already replaced the original filter housing with the Xantia one :x :x :x :x :x

Oi Doc, EPIC PHAIL my arse! I have to say it didn't miss a single beat in the 7 years or so on the Xantia!

Have checked the relay Phil, tis working ok, not checked post heating though

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Feb 2011

You need to check that Bandit. If I remember rrightly 15 secs was the norm.
If you have a Ammeter large enuff on the line before the first plug, it should be pulling 32 to 40 amps for the said period after starting.
Each plug draws 8 to 10 amps so if it's less in multiples of that you know how many are ok....
.....or not, as the case may be.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 04 Feb 2011

I had air suck-in (ooh er!) but never any leak out which is why it took me sooooooooo bloody long to diagnose it!

Bloody cars... :lol:
Almost BX-less