BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Battlescar Gallactica - retirment due?

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Mar 2011

In a word - Autobox.

Started to misbehave when hot, list of symptoms so far:
sometimes no forward gears, only after a high speed (70) run. Waiting a minute or so normally returns function.
Won't go into third sometimes
Shifts down to 3rd even though 4th is way more than sufficient and foot not doing kick down shit
Saw a metal fleck in the oil
Oil level ok
:cry: :x
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Battlescar Gallactica - retirment due?

Post by Philhod » 09 Mar 2011

2 things. is the kickdown cable of vacuum? coz if it's vacuum it will have a compensating valve, on the outside of the box, near to where the vacuum pipe goes in. That failing always makes it downshift a gear sometimes two. Likewise mal adjusted cable.
The only other straightforward thing I can think of is the valve block becoming sludged up.
I mean there could be any amount of more complex things internally, but those are things you can try first.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Mar 2011

tis a cable, and , erm, oh dear..
Suspect the oil pump is doing the usual and is most likely about to spit the dummy.
Thats how it starts, then it'll have no gears at all, since the A clutch will die of boredom and lack of pressure, from there it's all down hill..

You might get away with dropping the valve block out and cleaning the fucker out, but if it's started kicking gears out already then it's probably already too late sadly mate.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Mar 2011

[chin] Yeah. The bits of metal worried me as well. I must say though, I've got away with cleaning the valve block out more times than not, as sometimes it's bits of brake band which can work well until they are really rough.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Mar 2011

It's not so much the brake band that will fail, it's the clutches, it's a vicious cycle really, the pump fills with bits of swarf, they get shoved around the system and wears the pump out quite quickley, that in turns results in low hydraulic pressure which makes the clutches slip which procuces more swarf that the pump ingests and so on..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 10 Mar 2011

Hmmmmm, chin scratching, head scratching and ball sack scratching time or fuck it off and scrap it time [chin] [chin] [chin] [chin] [chin]

Can the oil pump be replaced Doc?
A couple of other things to add to the (probably already decided) diagnosis:

It was run two litres low on oil for a bit. As soon as it missed a gear I checked the level and topped it up to correct level. It worked perfectly from then until Tuesday.

The box was always whiney (I assumed diff but only because I know no better). The was also a rumble, akin to a really rough wheel bearing. The noise got worse - really loud until just recently when it seems quieter than ever (although still audible) The noise got louder/faster with speed not engine revs if that makes a difference.

If any sort of work has a good chance of a successful outcome without removing the box then I'll have a go, otherwise 'it' has to go and no doubt to the scrap man
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Or..............or...........put the ML5T box from the Xantia on it?

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Damn it, didn't I just say "......successful outcome without removing the box...." :roll: I'd probably be better of actually buying a 2.1 Manual [chin]

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 10 Mar 2011

Bx Bandit wrote:without removing the box
and then
Bx Bandit wrote:put the ML5T box from the Xantia on it
Well, I suppose 2 gearboxes could come in useful...space might be somewhat of an issue though.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Mar 2011

A little off topic but, with the advent of 5 speed+ g/boxes and sequential types.
We seem to have lost overdrive, into antiquity.

Lots of fun were those...............that is all :)

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 10 Mar 2011

the oil pump can indeed be replaced, but you'd have to remove the box from teh car to do it, and once you're that involved it would be a shortlived excercise not to do the clutches and rebuild the valve chest whilst you're there like, cos once there's swarf floating around in there unless you do it right proper you're on a hiding to nothing..
If you do go that far you REALLY want to replace the torque converter, or at least get it overhauled (you cant relly do this yourself since it has to be cut open and welded back together..) since that will also be full of swarf.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

thank you mate, I think that spells it out. You're a god damn guru and a sex god besides!

xxxxx

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Mar 2011

You're a god damn guru and a sex goddess besides!
8)

OO err! Well we all know of your proclivities, without seeing them in black and white!!! :lol:

Yeah, if you take it out you may as well do everything. I used to steam clean the innards.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 11 Mar 2011

I dont mind rebuilding ZF's if you want it done, the bits aint too cheap though..

Cheaper than they are for man size ZF Ecomats though...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 11 Mar 2011

docchevron132 wrote:Cheaper than they are for man size ZF Ecomats though...
There you go again - boasting that everything you have is man sized.............you make me feel inadequate :cry:

Thank you for offering to do the box dude, I really really can't be arsed to haul the box out. I know that sadly means its demise but she was on death row anyway and yet again it's a perverse world where the interior alone is worth more than the car itself. Shame though, she was a real trooper!

Phil, you can steam clean my innards anytime baby!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

I'm not paranoid Vanny - The Guest is reading this post right now! Hi Guest [wave]

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Just a thought Doc, (Oh, Hi Guest [wave] ) the box seems to function normally on the 2 mile school run. Does this make any difference to the diagnosis? Is there anything else worth a try like an oil change or two?
Could it be sludge blocking something?

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 11 Mar 2011

:) Read back That's what we both said originally. I think the lower pan, and the valve block is just above it, comes off ok without removing the box. Although TBH I haven't taken one off that model.
you can steam clean my innards out anytime
8) With my newly formed appliance I presume :lol:

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

So you did! And having said that, the metal shards points to the end anyway doesn't it?
Sorry to harp on, but if I get the chance of a ball ache free fiddle then I'll have a go, but if it's a done deal then I may as well not bother and just strip the bitch

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Philhod wrote:
you can steam clean my innards out anytime
8) With my newly formed appliance I presume :lol:
Errrrrrrr, yes! Stops 'little bits' getting stuck under the 'hood' I suppose :mrgreen: [vomit]