BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Fool Lines

Post by catsinthewelder » 02 Jun 2011

I've not been having the best of weeks with the BX

Decided on Tuesday that the clutch issues were getting a bit much, so removed the pedal box for welding and found it was fine, oh well as the clutch cables off might as well replace that [chin]

So about 24 hours later that was finally reassembled and feels better after some creative use of cable ties :)

But a trip under an old car is often its own little adventure, as I crawled out from underneath I noticed that the sill under the o/s back door was wet so had a prod. Cue a rush of Derv down my arm as the connections between the rubber hoses from the tank split from those heading forward [clap]

Right, cycle into town again and purchase 1/2 metre lengths of 6 and 8mm i/d fuel hose to replace and lengthen them both. Connect up after looking at a helpful thread on BXC and find the supply is still leaking, Arse

Check thread on BXC again, hang on his pipe heading forward is metal and mine looks like garden hose. So back down to the motor factors (they're giving me a discount as a regular customer now) 3M of fuel hose, 4 clips and a new fuel filter please, Which filter? It lists 3....Arse, just the hose and clips then.

Back home, clean out fuel filter, spilling contents carefully over drive and replace. Then replace main fuel supply line from tank as far as the front footwell where metal pipe emerges. Try to start car, churn churn, pump whotsit on fuel filter vigurously churn churn repeat until battery flat.

Remove battery, place on charge in shed, open cider, ask meekly if theres a sensible way of getting the system full of fuel again? :oops:

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Re: Fool Lines

Post by Philhod » 03 Jun 2011

As I remove the filter I let it drain so as to keep as much diesel in the case. Renew filter and screw up (ha ha ) Pump fuel using hand button or bulb (depending on year)
Should fire up within about 8 to 10 turns :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

jayw
Part of the decor

Post by jayw » 03 Jun 2011

catsinthewelder wrote:pump whotsit on fuel filter vigurously
Being that i don't have that anymore as i junked it in favor of a good old fashioned setup my memory is weak on the location, but...

Is there not a bleed screw to loosen before priming with the "whotsit" on the head... there will be one somewhere as the air has to go somewhere!

Process: Loosen bleed valve/nipple (oooh, nipple), pump until just derv flows from said nipple (no air bubbles), tighten nipple (hah! said it a third time), crank engine til start. Et Voila!
Almost BX-less

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 04 Jun 2011

Howdoo chaps

Ta muchly for the advice but its still bust :(

I looked all around for a bleed screw but could only find the black plastic one on the bottom of the filter for releasing water. I tried unbolting the filter and loosening this bleed screw while pumping the button and holding the filter upside down (so it was at the top) but it didn't seem to make much difference although loosening the screw did cause a rush of air each time.

Heres my engine bay

and a closer shot of the offending filter

I charged the battery up and pumped the little black button like billio with the ignition on until I can hear fuel squirting back down the return pipe, cranked her for a bit with the pedal down and she fired up, ran like a bag of a shit then stalled and wouldn't start again without repeating the whole process. I've been through this many times over the last few days and can only assume that the fuel pump ain't pumping for some reason.

Looking at the haynes book of Pug diesels, the fuel appears to be pumped by the injection pump rather than a separate fuel pump.

I could have got the lines reversed when I swapped them over (they both broke in the same place) but I'd assume that It wouldn't run at all if I did that. Its got about a quarter of a tank of fuel at the moment, I nipped to the garage in the VW and picked up 5 litres earlier as a top up.

Other possibility could be shit in the injectors from all the fannying about

Please help [pray]

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 04 Jun 2011

I would try rigging up a gravity feed to the pump, as I have known them be unable to lift fuel from the tank previously, especially if there is an air leak somewhere.

I've used a funnel and hose to good effect - once running again it should have no problem drawing from the tank. Hoses look correct IIRC.
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Jun 2011

You have done all the right things, thats why it started (even if bag of shit)

What you have now is air getting in somewhere, hence BOS and cutting out. you mention broken pipes and that will be where it is entering.

Check and replace if necessary. Another way of removing air is to crack open the metal fuel lines to each injector, one at a time, pumping, crank till fuel comes out, tighten, and then do the others in turn.
Pump as before and it should start and run OK.
If not you still have an air leak somwhere.

There are obly a few things that will stop a diesel starting. No fuel delivery, air in system, no power to fuel solenoid are the 3 most common

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 05 Jun 2011

Cheers guys I'll give em a blast in the morning

mutters of sorting er indoors a Vectra from ebay mutter mutter

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 05 Jun 2011

:shock: Vectra????!!!!! :lol:

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 06 Jun 2011

Philhod wrote::shock: Vectra????!!!!! :lol:
Shes not a fan of em :mrgreen:

Anyhow its fixed ish, I had convinced myself that holding the filter upside down to bleed it was silly and probably just adding air to the system. But apparently its the way forward, the idle is slightly rough now though so I think some shit has got in the injectors. I'm going with Redex and an Italian tune up to sort this

Cheers for the help and support guys, I've been tearing my hair out with the ruddy thing this last week.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 07 Jun 2011

maybe a bit late now, but on the side of the filter head is a 11mm bolt, thats the bleed screw on these. Remove, pump black knob thing til diesel pisses out over the cam belt cover (nice bit of design) and jobbed..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 07 Jun 2011

docchevron132 wrote:pump black knob
You have to be sure of someone's ethnic background before giving them this advice, do you not?
Image Image Image Image

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Jun 2011

I think Doc got these instructions from Smiffy :wink: 8)

catsinthewelder
Getting Started

Post by catsinthewelder » 08 Jun 2011

[quote="docchevron132"]maybe a bit late now,quote]

Cheers Doc, you're a star mate. I'll give that a go in the morning if hes still at home.

Chubleys had a stay of execution for the minute at least. I've arranged for a local garage to use some sort of vacuum pump to sort out the air in fuel high jinks as I'm fed up with smelling of diesel. I'm still on the lookout for a replacement though as I'd like to find a better condition example to be a 'keeper'. I've looked at the competition and theres nothing out there that I want more than a BX estate.

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 08 Jun 2011

I'm fed up with smelling of diesel.
Hmmm.... [chin] [chin] [no] But that's 1/2 the fun

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 08 Jun 2011

There should be a bleed nipple on one of them banjo bolts shouldn't there?!

What else is wrong with Chubley mate? As in, what's making you think of getting another one as opposed to fixing Mr Chubley?

Most things are sorted fairly easily - rust and welding being the most time consuming but also perhaps the most predictable.....
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 09 Jun 2011

erm, the bleed is next to the output banjo yes, an 11 or 12mm bolt. undo, pump til neat diesel pisses over the cam belt cover, do up bolt. pump a bit more, tunr engine over whkilst continuing to pump. Sorted.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: at Mat too!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 09 Jun 2011

can't see nipple though.............
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 09 Jun 2011

Yes that is confusing Bandit, because I've seen more without one than with.

They have all been 90/ 91 models, where they were changing over to the later bulb pump and top of thermostat filter. :roll:

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Post by Way2go » 10 Jun 2011

Bx Bandit wrote:can't see nipple though.............
It's more obvious when the weather is cold...... :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 10 Jun 2011

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was just me that noticed Bandits nipples did that :wink: