BX bringing you down? just don't have the right spanner? perhaps our counselors can help . . . actually i doubt it, but ask anyway!
scooters

Heater controls - anyone got a PCB?

Post by scooters » 16 Nov 2011

I have to drive to Aberdeen and back to see a client tomorrow - as the Subaru has a knackered rear shock and beinf a 3.5 likes a drink, I'll be taking the BX - smoother ride and much less stressfull (the problem with scoobs even green welly legacys like my one is that scrotes and audis keep cutting you up -see you as some sort of threat I suppose.

Anyway, the heater blower has been getting weaker and weaker - mnde, Mark, had given the connectors on the motor unit a good clean - so I removed the motor, cleaned all and bench tested it - very strong - no problems.

Next off came the steering wheel and the dash under panel - tested the relay - good strong current there - next removed the knobs on the heater control and removed the facia - tested the contacts on the PCB - 1 and 2 ok - 3 no earth - 4 and 5 live so I jumped 2 and 3 together to earth 3 and the motor started working again, joined the two earth termonals with a strip of wire for the time being. When I replace the board I will make Jeremy's power mod. All was looking good and I started to refit everything

EXCEPT -

I then decided to check the state of the resistor and removed the iner knob rin and gave it a clean - I foolishly then tried to remount the ring (it clips it) by pushing it in place with the circuit board in situ - disaster - I cracked the PCB across the resistor (about halfway up the strip - badly) It still works but only from halfway on to full power - I don't turn it below halfway as the crack can dislodge the contact on the inner ring - I have applied superglue to the contact on the inner ring to hold it in place whilst I source a new PCB.

So at least I have heat again - vital at this time of the year to clear the screen more than anything else!

Does anyone have a PCB for the heater controls?

pretty please! 8) :oops: :oops:

The engine has been pinking a wee bit and a tad lumpy on the idle - at Mark's suggestion I checked the vacuum advance tube - FYI it is his old car a BX16 Meteor - 1.6 solex carb. the tube did tend to slip off the dizzy nipple - sure enough it had split at the nipple but further examination showed it also split at the other end - I raided the 306 - nicked the rear washer pipe and crafted a vacuum advance tube which I secured to the nipples with mini jubilee clips

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Re: Heater controls - anyone got a PCB?

Post by mat_the_cat » 16 Nov 2011

You're in luck! I have a spare, PM sent.
Image Image Image Image

scooters

Post by scooters » 16 Nov 2011

Mat, my plums will rest easy in their sack in their knowledge that they won't be freezing off this winter! You, sir, have a PM! :lol:

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 17 Nov 2011

Have you seen the sticky post on BXC about the heater control mod, this would give you the option to have full blower even with your snapped PCB (i think)
ImageImage

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 17 Nov 2011

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 15&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THIS^^^

Jesus wept -
http://www.bxclub.co.uk/roundup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has nobody thought to update the front page since I wrote this?
Image Image Image

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 17 Nov 2011

It's not that no ones thought to, loads of people have asked to (me, leechy, Chidders and more) but it always falls of deaf ears.

Quite frankly i think the powers that be should just let Phil Chidlow loose on it, he does some good shit.
ImageImage

scooters

Post by scooters » 21 Nov 2011

thanks chaps - Mat sent the PCB which turned up today which is GR9 news

Will drop it in later....thing is that when I was prizing off the knobs the other day one of them pinged over my sho8lder and landed somewhere in the car - can't find it!!!! - really frustrating - it MUST be in there somewhere - flipin hell! I searched for 30 mins yesterday and nothing - might get the boy to have a look when he's finished the chimneys at Scooters Towers - small hands you see!

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 24 Nov 2011

Have you checked it hasn't miraculously ended up in one of the seat pockets?

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

scooters

Post by scooters » 24 Nov 2011

found it lurking between the drivers seat and the central console - no old chews or £2 coins though!! :lol:

been doing some work this morning. I have replaced 2 of the bulbs behind the instrument panel - that's a fun job isn't it - the only worse one I have had to remove is anything made by Volvo but especially the 240 series and late 140 series that both share a dash that was crafted by Vulcan in his Volcano workshop out of solid diamond before being painted to look like metal and plastic - after sharpening the corners to razor edges of course and making sure he used his super human strength to tighten every screw so he can laugh at puny mortals trying to undo them.

also wiring in an MP3 stereo - your old Clarion is bing mothballed I'm afraid - OEM origionality so I can listen to my Patrick O'Brian Audiobooks that are on an MP3 disc!

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 24 Nov 2011

Might be a bit late now, but perhaps a good idea to change them all while you're in there, although it does get quicker with practice! Does yours have the later wing nuts to make life easier?
Image Image Image Image

scooters

well, the bulbs I used were some old ones I looted from the 306 = sadly they aren't working either although they look OK - I removed them and bench tested them - no joy...pls can someone let me know the bulbs I need to buy for the dash and the heater controls (these seem to be a bit longer)

I got round to fitting Mat's PCB - had to bridge the 3/4 terminals again to sort the dodgey earth - was going to do the full powe4r mod but could't find my soldering iron anywhere grrrrrr...

To cap it all, I installed my Kenwood MP3 ready stereo however, when I tested somke came pouring out of the unit :shock:

had a very good look at it - I had leant it to a friend who returned it to me last year - I noticed that the micro fuse at the back was 15amp- it is meant to be 10amp so looks like the numpty must have swapped them round without checking - £150 down the kharsey! I should have double checked!!! I'll bloody strangle him. I'll open up the Kenwood but suspect it is beuond saving :(

scooters

oh - yes - it has wing nuts

I eed to take the binnacle off again anyway as I need to have a go at fixing the trip meter again

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 25 Nov 2011

You asked for a roof panel. I told you I had one.
Pm me where to send it, as I will be away from monday week until second week in Jan.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 25 Nov 2011

scooters wrote:found it lurking between the drivers seat and the central console - no old chews or £2 coins though!! :lol:

been doing some work this morning. I have replaced 2 of the bulbs behind the instrument panel - that's a fun job isn't it - the only worse one I have had to remove is anything made by Volvo but especially the 240 series and late 140 series that both share a dash that was crafted by Vulcan in his Volcano workshop out of solid diamond before being painted to look like metal and plastic - after sharpening the corners to razor edges of course and making sure he used his super human strength to tighten every screw so he can laugh at puny mortals trying to undo them.

also wiring in an MP3 stereo - your old Clarion is bing mothballed I'm afraid - OEM origionality so I can listen to my Patrick O'Brian Audiobooks that are on an MP3 disc!
Hi Rich - that old Clarion has served me well -keep it safe somewhere! :) I pilfered it from my previous BX when it was scrapped :( and installed it in H124 when the radio part of the OEM Blaupunkt Boston rad/cass unit stopped working. I haz actually got two stereos kicking around which I wish I'd bunged in with the rest now! One of them is from an XM I think - don't have a scooby about what connectors are at the back.

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

scooters

Post by scooters » 28 Nov 2011

Mat.T from Autoshite is sending me a 1990 vintage Clarion radio cassette which is spot on for the BX and can play MP3s by means of a tape with a wire thingy coming out of it...Clarion is being kept safe and will be installed in the next 90's Chod that is bought - suspect it will be the CX I have my beady eye on!

Busy weekend with the BX - I had to drive up to Stirling to check out a Scoob Legacy to replace our one which is now pissing oil out of every seal, lunching it's auto box and has no shocks...

I had a voucher for some petrol from Sainsbury so treated the car to a dose of Premium 97 RON - what a difference - land speed test on an empty M9 got over 3 figs no problem. The 1.6 does fly when you rev it.

Sunroof is sticky as hell at the moment - much manual winding back and forth and silicon grease is making little difference I may have to strip it down and check the motor - it seems to lack a bit of power and I suspect the brushes.

mat_the_cat
Centenial time waster

Post by mat_the_cat » 28 Nov 2011

scooters wrote:can play MP3s by means of a tape with a wire thingy coming out of it
What about something like this? 3.5mm input so no tape adaptor needed.

Bit late now I guess though!
Image Image Image Image