General chat area for all members, any topic goes!
Andy Missen

Loss of coolant fluid

Post by Andy Missen » 04 Feb 2012

Hi everyone, ok so my estate TGD is losing a small amount of of coolant fluid (maybe a litre or so over a fortnight) and it makes the level warning light stay on for a few extra seconds when starting up, is this a common problem or is it more major. There is no visible evidence of a leak and the oil is free from water so its gotta be going elsewhere.Any suggestions and advice would be welcomed cos I'm wasting bloody antifreeze !!!! :x

Way2go
GET OUT MORE

Re: Loss of coolant fluid

Post by Way2go » 04 Feb 2012

If there's no sign of a leak (I take it you've checked in the car too for the heater) then it must be either overheating or a HG problem and you're losing it through the rad cap overflow.

You say that you've checked the oil for water, have you also checked the radiator for the dreaded bubbles? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 04 Feb 2012

A lot of garages up here only charge a tenner for a pressure test.
Water leaks have never been an issue on any of the 1/2 dozen cars I have had over the years, or on any of the ones I have worked on for others.
There have been some leaks from an earlier fuel heater. It's a plastic union at the rear of the engine, more to the drivers side. Because of it's position leaks can be missed.
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

Father Ted
Centenial time waster

Post by Father Ted » 04 Feb 2012

water pump bearing?
I had one that only leaked when the pump was in a certain position. Took me ages to find it.
Image Image Image

Andy Missen

Post by Andy Missen » 05 Feb 2012

Ta for the info folks, gonna give it a proper look over when the bloody white stuff clears then, yeah it could be the heater inside cos the carpet is slightly damp for some reason !!!!

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Feb 2012

Front driver carpet wet = leaky tap/heater matrix

rear passenger carpet wet = leaky sunroof

I dont have any spare taps unfortunately, but i suspect some new gaskets and you could refurb them.
ImageImage