Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Tooling around in Golf Cart with Ed Begley Jr..

Post by docchevron132 » 29 Oct 2007

So, started taking the valver apart today, and was pleasently surprised.
The rot in the N/S inner wing / wheel arch is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was and I reckon I should have all the welding / painting / undersealing done back to the A pillars in a weekend.

Whilst removing the wishbones (since I knew the bushes were FUBAR) I was a bit concerned to find 1 bottom ball joint and one drop link (on opposite sides) were worn quite badly despite neither component having done more than 15K miles..

So far on the list then is new ball joints, new drop links, new ARB bushes, new wishbone bushes.

I'll replace the bottom and top engine mounts since I have them in stock and the mounts on the car are getting a little worn.

New hand brake cables aswell I think, theres not much wrong with the ones on there now, again, they're only 2 years old, but whilst I'm down there...

Having examined both front bumpers I think I'll repair the original bumper and spray it up along with the spare rear bumper I already had and use them.

The O/S wing is also better than the wing from KMO so I'll flat it back, spray it and reuse that aswell.

Then I'll move on to the O/S B pillar which has rotted out at the bottom and into the sill, then both rear arches and outriggers, new outer rear 1/4 wing, bit of patching on the boot floor and ewxhaust hanger, new rear chassis legs and some plating on the rear valance.
Then I'll get it right up in the air, drop the fuel tank and rear subframe, replace the fuel pipes and all the hydrailic pipes from the front subframe back, replace the rear arm bearings (even though they dont need doing, but again, whilst I'm there like), new subframe bushes, recon the wheels etc..

I'll use the hatch off KMO since it's better than the one on the car..

Expect lots of boring pictures as it progresses from rusty battered wreck to shiny nice looking valver with ill fitting 1/4 wings!

A few piccies from today..

The extra relays for the modded colling fan setup:

Rot in the N/S inner wing, the wheelarch is worse:

The O/S innerwing is actually pretty good!:

YGX in the foreground, and KMO behind. The end of the road for this one...:

Them bloody pesky wishbone studs:

Might actually get some welding done next weekend....
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 29 Oct 2007

dont worry about boring pictures Chris this could become the definitive BX restoration guide
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 30 Oct 2007

Hmmm, I really must try and get that blue CX started, and give it a good wash!
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Oct 2007

Def want piccies mate...I'll be holding out for your B pillar repair cos that is where mine has gone on the TD. Also have badish rust on A pillar......could be dodge by the windyscreen

Speaking of lower bj's....ahem :oops: ..ball joints! Mine has gone on the Valver already and I replaced it about 2K ago! WTF??? Are there good and crap ones? May try and get a better make next time and pay more for it!
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 30 Oct 2007

There will be plenty of picture type stuff no fear!
I'm cheating with the B pillar, I'm cutting the pillar out of KMO and welding the whole thing into YGX...

A pillars are well known now..
Bring the car down to shitsville towers one weekend and I'll wield the MiG at it..

GSF ball joints seem to last about 3 seconds...
I shall be using genuine this time round..
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 30 Oct 2007

i had some proper dodgy GSF supplied one last tiem round (managed about 10k) got a QH one this time as i aint the money for a bloody genuine item :(
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 30 Oct 2007

Can you still get genuine ones then? My cit dealer is utter shite (aint they all) he's a rude impatient bastard :evil:

I wondered if replacement section was they way to go mate. Praps I'll bring her over after I done the clutch and other things - am going for a pro-active approach of repairing both h/corr's, FDV cos they are just waiting to go! Some of the pipes are rusty so they'll be done. You mentioned the rear subframe bushes/mounts. Is it worth doing them mate? I kinda want to do as much to her as poss so I don't have to keep fiddling with her!!

I know you find it boring but if you're ok to do a bit that would good. How about a pint per inch of welding then eh? Shit....you'll weld me doors shut Dukes of Hazard Stylee!! :lol: :lol:
....There he goes, one of God's own prototypes, a high powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production......too weird too live.....and too rare to die

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 31 Oct 2007

Genuine's are indeed still available. Not cheap though, I'll dig the part numbers out.

The rear subframe bushes really last forever, the rear most ones can get a bit ropey with age, but the front bushes are big bastards that never seem to fail. EVER.
But since I'm dropping the subframe anyway and intend to keep the car in the very longterm then I'll do them whilst it's all in bits..

Not a big fan of welding, but needs must and all that, and since you're a friend then it's no problem to wield a welder at your motor mate, since it'll be in use anyway, a bit more wont hurt.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Re: Tooling around in Golf Cart with Ed Begley Jr..

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Nov 2007

docchevron1472 wrote:So, started taking the valver apart today, and was pleasently surprised.
The rot in the N/S inner wing / wheel arch is nowhere near as bad as I thought it was and I reckon I should have all the welding / painting / undersealing done back to the A pillars in a weekend.

The O/S innerwing is actually pretty good!:
Oh how I lied, ALOT!
The O/S is mullered!
The N/S actually looks less, er, holey...

This may take a while...

What looked like a touch of surface rust on the O/S inner wing turned into a bit of a hole when prodded:

and the O/S wheelarch has a lot of corrosion and some holes:
I'm going to remove all the underseal from both arches and see whats left.
Without doubt it's the underseal thats caused this rot.

With the O/S body kit removed and a gentle prod with a finger the front end of the sill collapsed:

Although in consolation the bottom of the B pillar isn't as bad as it looked...

Will order up some new parts on Monday, tomorrow I'll get the N/S body kit off, and drop both front struts and mounts so I can go nuts with the wire wheel.

To do it properly I reckon I'll have the front finished by the end of November, since I really want to do this one properly.
It also brought to mind that even though I thought I knew this car very well, it's much worse than I thought.
So once it's all finished and back on the road, I'll do exactley the same thing to the TD.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 04 Nov 2007

and then, i'll come visit :D
ImageImage

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 04 Nov 2007

That bit under the wash bottle gone on mine...and Charlies...on probably my TD aswell! Bastard tin worm! Nice phots mate, I love seeing this sorta stuff!

charlie
Part of the decor

Post by charlie » 04 Nov 2007

got mine welded up with 12 carat gold

or at least that would explain the £60 he charged me

bastard

barnsley bxer
Part of the decor

Post by barnsley bxer » 04 Nov 2007

Bx Bandit wrote:That bit under the wash bottle gone on mine...and Charlies...on probably my TD aswell! Bastard tin worm! Nice phots mate, I love seeing this sorta stuff!
Me too.I thought "the phoenix" was excellent

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Nov 2007

Stripped strit and hub assemblies off to have a better route around in the wheel arches, still finding more and more rot:

But having cleaned up various bits with the wire wheel, alot of the rot was just surface corrosion and the metal in places is still very good:

But less so in other area's:

Here's the rot in the scuttle viewed from above:

and the N/S sill, not as bad as the O/S but still wankered..:
Caught just in time really, as the rot is just starting to eat into the inner sill, but at the moment is an easy fix.
And the N/S still has a membrane, unlike the O/S which has evapourated..

Bit of tidying up and few new bits of tin in the N/S inner wing / wheelarch and I can empty a few hundred litres of hammerite / red oxide primer, waxoyl and stone gueard onto and into it.
Should ensure it outlasts me!

Now the ABS block and air filter assembly is out of the way it'll be a bit easier to chop and weld:
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Nov 2007

hmmm, my arch rot is getting worse and worse, have manged to put it off so far, but god do i fear the time when i have to do something about it!

My car is also on its original door hinges/mounts HOW WEIRD IS THAT!!
ImageImage

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Nov 2007

Both my cars are still on the original door hinges too. Although the TD is getting a little ripe there, so that'll be on the list for that car.

Fear not young 'un, just leave the car with me for a week next spring and I'll do it.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Nov 2007

Didn't get much done today.
Had rather alot of Remi Martin last night, and the cold weather doesn't inspire hard work TBH.
Still, cut the rusty bit out of the O/S innerwing:
Then repaired the rust that was exposed underneath...
Made up a half reasonable repair plate hewn form an old BX door, so it's all genuine Citroën steel.
Looks ok I reckon.
Then had a go at the bottom of the outer closing panel on the O/S front chassis leg:

Cut the rot out of the scuttle and spent some time thinking about the best way to repair it.
It's actually a more complicated structure than it looks at first glance.
I'm aiming for an early start up there tomorrow, so all being well I'll have the scuttle done by lunchtime, then move on to the N/S inner wing and wheelarch.
If I can get the front end finished by close of play tomorrow then I'll be happy enough. Then I can move on to the sills next weekend...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 17 Nov 2007

Nice work mate...must be satisfying to get it all back nice and solid :P

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 17 Nov 2007

Not really, would rather be shagging the lovely latvian lady, but ya know, needs must!
Should be ok when it's finished though...
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Bx Bandit
GET OUT MORE

Post by Bx Bandit » 18 Nov 2007

Right, I've heard enough of this Latvian bird.... [worthless] get some and the BXP posse will formulate a faultless boner plan :lol: