Chat about the latest new website changes and general car related things!
Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 02 Jun 2008

:P :P Or all the heat produced by that fuckin cow shit :lol:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

David
Part of the decor
Location: Lo-ca-tion: a place of settlement, activity, or residence; act of locating; state of being located.

Post by David » 03 Jun 2008

Been having a think about that front knock. As it happens, my DTR does that too, and so does Stu's new olympian.... which is interesting as stu's car has all new bushes, and all my wishbone bushes are completely Fuxxed. and yes, it's exactly the same clonk.

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be where the long bolt (well, threaded bar) goes through the subframe, not pinching the bush inners hard enough onto the subframe, and hence it moving a bit.

Mine is most pronounced when you pull away in reverse a bit hard. A definite "klonk" from the N/S. Easily repeatable, but I can't find any play with a pry-bar in there.
... all landings are in fact controlled crashes, and any crash you can walk away from is a good landing. The definition of a good pilot is a man with the same number of landings as take-offs.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 03 Jun 2008

Cant find any movement in the ARb or the bushes, the caps are very tight, no rust.
BUT, it does look a bit arched across it's width.
I dont remember it being like this, and I cant say I noticed it all the time I've spent under it, but it doesn't look right.
Handily I have spares, so I'll change it and hope that cures the movement issue.

As for the knock, David, yes, mines just like that, if you reverse sharply it clonks quite noticably.
The other thing I've noticed is that under heavy acceleration it isn't there, no knock, but under deceleration or just cruising along it knocks over every bump in the road, but not if you're going over a speed hump kinda thing.
I've checked the axial joints, levered the BBj's again, levered the drop links, bushes and anything I could lever, rechecked the subframe bolts, and I still cant find anything.
But somethings amiss. And it's bugging the fuck out of me.
I shall sell the fucking thing if I cant cure it...

I will try yanking the wishbone stud nuts up tighter, that does seem very plausable, but christ on a bike, I think if I do them up much tighter I'll rip the fucking stud apart!
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1990 BX 16V It's got big hairy bollocks
1971 BL 350FG ambulance
1993 Dennis Lance 132 It's got mahooosive hairy bollocks!

Euthenasia, because enough's enough already.

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 03 Jun 2008

David wrote:Been having a think about that front knock. As it happens, my DTR does that too, and so does Stu's new olympian.... which is interesting as stu's car has all new bushes, .
Did I miss something? When did Stu buy an Olympian?

http://www.britishmodelbuses.com/Real%2 ... _Large.jpg
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

Philhod
GET OUT MORE

Post by Philhod » 03 Jun 2008

:) :) At least what you are all describing is very similar

Reversing and over run produce exactly the same weight transfer,ie taking the weight of the lump forward, thus ruling out the ARB, as that mainly controls axial shift. so, that puts us back to either end of the leg....or wishbone [chin] again.
My TXD presents none of the symptoms you have described :wink:
72... AND STILL ROCKIN..........around the world...... NOT in a chair yet

Now XBX And into HDI.....as well as other ...err.... things.

stu
Established

Post by stu » 03 Jun 2008

Philhod wrote:My TXD presents none of the symptoms you have described :wink:
It's the only fucking one then.

Am I right in saying it's when you *change* direction? You get that clonk at the first movement after changing into reverse, or from reverse into forward, no?
Cheers,
Stu

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Jun 2008

Mine clonks over bumps, all the time, and it's bastard infuriating.
Although I'm begining to think it's not the suspension at all.
If I hold the car in gear and brake down to a speed where the engine is trying to stall it knocks like a bastard (not the engine, but this knock noise).
I'm reckoning it's actually something under the bonnet thats knocking over bumps but is not directley attached to the suspension....maybe...

I duno, I really need someone to drive the car a bit while I loiter under the bonnet.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

smiffy
Centenial time waster

Post by smiffy » 04 Jun 2008

After your last post there, I thought exhaust knocking against the body, but then you've just changed it, so you wouldn't have installed it wrong would you?
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...
but now that most of them are muslim, I find bacon and sausages work better!

mnde
Established

Post by mnde » 04 Jun 2008

"If I hold the car in gear and brake down to a speed where the engine is trying to stall it knocks like a bastard (not the engine, but this knock noise).
I'm reckoning it's actually something under the bonnet thats knocking over bumps but is not directley attached to the suspension....maybe..."

Engine/gearbox mounts?

Mine knocks like the sound of a golf ball rattling as it goes into the hole on the green, I think it's right hand side but sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear?? Doesn't seem to do it over speed bumps, only rough patches in the road.

Plus the steering wheel moves in my hands at low speed on rough surfaces....

Also cracks when accelerating and turning, maybe seized n/s droplink?

I though the clonk when reversing was well known as something to do with calipers?

Mark.
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate

BX Owner, December 2003-October 2011

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 04 Jun 2008

Golf ball going in hole sounds spot on actually!

It cant be the engine mounts in this case, but good thought, I've changed all the mounts, and the noise is no different than before....
I'll have to do something about it this weekend, it's really really bugging me to hell and back.

The clonk when reversing is well known and you're quite right Mark, it's the pads moving in the calipers, although creamed wishbone bushes do the same sort of thing..

As for your steering, is the tracking ok? Or is it toeing in a load?
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK » 04 Jun 2008

Could it be the balance weight on the clutch cable banging up against something?

Just a thought, as mine used to do that, till I fastened the bugger with zipties!

Dave
"If it has four legs, wags its tail, and barks...the chances are...it's a dog!

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 04 Jun 2008

wow, the return of the prodigal son,

how are you Dave , where you bin hiding
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK » 04 Jun 2008

Hiya Mickey!

I've been lurking around the BXC boards for a good while now, but only recently found my link to here!:oops:

Gradually getting myself back to normal (if I ever was normal in the first place!) following my stroke last September.

Still not back working for a living yet......but I reckon that I'm owed a fair old wack off the Government, for all the NI contributionsand Income Tax I've paid over the last 37 years!!8)

I'm just about to have a go at getting Monica (my '93 TXD Turbo) in shape for both the National and her MOT. Hope there aren't too many 'nasties' lurking around underneath, as I ain't touched her for almost 9 months (except the odd short drive).

Cheers

Dave
"If it has four legs, wags its tail, and barks...the chances are...it's a dog!

mickey taker
GET OUT MORE

Post by mickey taker » 04 Jun 2008

nice to hear your getting there mate ,

I'm hoping to go to the national ( so longs they let the camry or the trajet on the camping field )

thread hijack over sorry Doc
Light travels quicker than sound.That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

docchevron132
Bus Warrior

Post by docchevron132 » 05 Jun 2008

DAVE! Welcome back mate!

Since when has thread jacking been frowned upon on here dude?

Nope, not the balance weight, I'm almost sure there's two different things going on here.
The suspension knock is I'm sure the wishbones tapered holes, and some lift in the ARB, which I rather think has something to do with the ARB being bent. This will be replacd, along with the front HC, since I haven't yet changed it, and some new wishbones.
The engine over run knock I think is the small bush in the lower engine mount.
Which will also be replaced directley.
Hopefully that'll end the knock issues.
If it doesn't, I'll set fire to the fucking heap.
Despite the current fettling issues though I'd forgotten what a fucking great car it is. I've had rather alot of fun over the last 5 days!

Keep getting better Dave, and make sure you get to the national if you're up to it, if only for the day, it'll be very good to see you again.
1989 BX 17TD P2 Hybrid
1971 BL 350FG ambulance

Vanny
Site Admin

Post by Vanny » 05 Jun 2008

Triggers Broom, discuss
ImageImage